Bliffert and TAL Add, R.P. Subtracts in Latest LBM Deals Action
Forty-six deals involving 40 buyers have resulted in 200 LBM-owned operations changing hands so far this year, Webb Analytics' latest tally finds. There also have been 112 stores that have opened already or will open later this year, along with at least 11 store closures.
Acquisitions since mid-April include Bliffert Lumber & Hardware's absorption of Chase Lumber, a three-store collection in Wisconsin. Meanwhile, TAL Holdings added two Montana stores--Beaverhead Home Center, located in Dillon, and Ennis Lumber in Ennis--as well as Harbor Rental & Saw Shop in Friday Harbor, WA.
The biggest deal announced recently involved R.P. Lumber, which sold to Runnings its two dozen R.P. Home & Hardware stores, which focused on the farm and ranch markets. R.P. had purchased these stores in September 2021 from Stock+Field when that company reorganized under Chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy laws.
In other recent actions:
* Catching up on a previously unreported deal, US LBM sold its five Direct Cabinet Sales stores in February to Express Kitchens.
* GMS expanded in British Columbia by acquiring Home Lumber & Building Supplies of Victoria.
* Hawaii's HPM Building Supply bought 87ZERO, a Honolulu-based cabinetry supplier.
* ABC Supply opened new locations in San Bernardino, CA; Pearl, MS; and Granbury, TX.
* SRS Distribution opened yards in Delavan, WI; Punta Gorda, FL; and Williamsport, MD.
* Beacon Building Products opened stores in Longview, TX; and Gulfport, MS.
* Floor & Decor's newest stores opened in Sharpsburg, GA; Temple, TX; Silver Spring, MD; and Madison, AL.
* Among hardware store deals, Coborn's bought three Sullivan's Stores in Illinois, Heuser Ace Hardware bought Palmetto Ace of Pawleys Island, SC; and Thatcher's Ace bought Kinney Bros. in Ontario, OR.
* There also were new hardware store openings in Fayetteville, NC (Lori's Ace Hardware); Georgetown, SC (Walker Bros. Hardware); and Pigeon Forge, TN (Curt's Ace Hardware).