The drywall sector has jumped to the forefront of construction supply's M&A activity in recent weeks, thanks mainly to three major deals:
* Foundation Building Materials purchased MarJam Supply, bringing it 32 new locations scattered across 10 states.
* GMS purchased Engler, Meier & Justus, which has eight operations in Illinois, Georgia, and North Carolina.
* L&W Supply, the gypsum specialty division of ABC Supply, purchased US LBM's drywall specialty operations. The deal brought L&W 46 locations, of which 26 are in Florida and the rest are in Alabama, Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.
GMS also announced recently that it purchased Canada's Blair Building Materials of Maple, ON, and opened a greenfield location of D.L. Building Materials in Ottawa, ON. In addition, GMS this year has opened a branch of New England Gypsum in New York City and three AMES Taping Tools stores in Concord, NC; Olive Branch, MS; and Myrtle Beach, SC.
All told, the 87 locations purchased represent more than half the 155 LBM facilities purchased so far this year. The overall count also includes 97 store openings that have either occurred already or are planned for this year as well as 11 facility closures. Among the other notable actions since mid-March:
* Nation's Best Holdings bought Mountain View Hardware in King, NC, and Patrick Building Supply in Stuart, VA.
* Ambassador Supply took over Hitek Truss of Brooksville, FL, while Oxford Group acquired Appalachian Truss of Burnsville, NC.
* Beacon bought Al's Roofing Supply, which has four facilities in California, while Beacon's Dealer's Choice Distribution unit acquired Prince Buildings Systems of Neillsville, WI.
* SiteOne Landscape Supply bought the four-unit, North Carolina-based Triangle Landscape Supply.
* Gulfeagle Supply purchased Exterior Supply of Gulfport, MS, then closed its existing Gulfport store and consolidated in the newly acquired building.
* SRS Distribution opened Suncoast Roofers Supply branches in Tampa and Sebring, FL, and a Superior Distribution branch in Bowling Green, KY.
* SRS Distribution's Heritage Landscape Supply Group took over Marenakos Rock Center of Issaquah, WA.
* Hardware store purchases included North Hall Ace Hardware of Gainesville, GA; and Fremont (IN) Hardware. Among the greenfield openings were D's Ace Hardware in Largo, FL, and Lant Do it Best Hardware in Nebraska City, NE.